This is my top five:
- I want to know who is the owner of the website and information about them
- I want to see a real domain name and not some silly sub domain. Ex: http://joeblow.weebly.com
- The appearance is very important. If the web design looks like crap then I will move on to the next site. Look out for flashing buttons, popups, big click here buttons and exaggerated text
- Frequently updated contact. We do after all want to know that the company is still in business
- Bonus. If the site loads extremely slow, I would wonder if they are on a reliable server. Many scammers hop around ip addresses so they can’t easily be tracked.
- Ok, one more bonus. Look at the whois database and see if the site is owned and operated by someone in your own country.
I hope this helps. This is just an answer off the top of my head and I look forward to reading your other replies